175g Caster sugar
150g Self raising flour
75g Ground almonds
5ml Baking powder
5ml Ndali vanilla powder
30ml Belvoir Fruit Farms Elderflower Cordial
FOR THE ELDERFLOWER DRIZZLE
60ml Belvoir Fruit Farms Elderflower cordial (undiluted)
60g Granulated sugar
1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
2. Grease and line an 8″ deep round tin with baking parchment.
3. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder, vanilla powder, elderflower cordial & milk and beat until smooth.
5. Pour into the tin and bake for 45-50 mins until a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.
6. Just before the cake comes out of the oven, mix together the ‘drizzle’ cordial and sugar.
7. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, leave it in the tin and prick it all over with a skewer. Slowly pour the ‘drizzle’ all over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
8. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin, then carefully lift out onto a serving plate.
I chose to decorate mine with small, white fondant flowers cut & bunched to look like the head of an elderflower surrounded by some green leaves.
Enjoy with a glass of cold, sparkling Belvoir Fruit Farms Elderflower cordial, or a lovely cup of tea.
This is a lovely, delicately flavoured & moist cake that, due to the addition of ground almonds will easily keep for a few days. If you’re lucky and it doesn’t all get eaten very quickly that is!