This year, in the UK, we find Father’s Day being celebrated on Sunday 21st June. Personally for me and my family, this isn’t the easiest Father’s Day to celebrate as my own dad is in hospital and is currently very unwell. As a result, he won’t be at home with us to celebrate his special day, but will be visited by mum, my sisters, brother and myself as well as his grandchildren where we will tell him he’s loved and wish him a speedy recovery to come home again.
Dad loves what he calls a ‘proper dinner’ and I know he would love this one and that his plate would be empty after he’s enjoyed his dinner. In honour and to respect my dad, this one is for him, with love from his baby girl…
5 Medium potatoes
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 Red onions
8 Lamb leg steaks
Beef stock pot/cube
15ml Mint Sauce concentrate
1. Preheat the oven to 170˚C (150˚C fan).
2. Peel the potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions and slice thinly into 2mm slices.
3. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a dish with the butter.
4. Place the potatoes in layers in the bottom of the dish.
5. Top the potatoes with the sliced onions.
6. Arrange a layer of the sweet potatoes on top of the potatoes and onions.
7. Lay the lamb leg steaks on top of the sweet potatoes.
8. Add a final layer of sweet potatoes on top of the lamb leg steaks.
9. Make the stock pot/cube up to 500ml with boiling water and stir until fully dissolved.
10. Add the mint sauce concentrate and stir to mix.
11. Pour the stock and mint sauce over the potatoes and lamb.
12. Cover the dish with foil.
12. Cook for 2 hours until the potatoes are cooked and the lamb is tender.
12. Serve with steamed cauliflower and minted Yorkshire puddings and gravy.