This can be made easily with either sweet potato or normal potatoes, but I really love the added flavour that sweet potatoes bring to a meal and cooked this way is certainly no exception. It’s incredibly simple and incredibly tasty too.
15ml Rapeseed Oil (I recommend Farrington’s Mellow Yellow)
1 large Sweet potato (enough for one or two slices per person)
1 Knorr Chicken stock pot, dissolved in
75ml Boiling water
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Peel the sweet potato.
2. Cut in to 2cm (1″) thick rounds.
3. Heat the oil and the butter in a pan until the butter is foaming.
4. Add the sweet potatoes to the pan, flat side down and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown in colour.
5. Carefully add the stock to the pan (it may spit a little, so be careful).
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until tender and cooked through.
8. Serve with some of the cooking liquid spooned over the top.
To add a decorative element to your plate, why not try cutting the potatoes with a shaped metal cookie cutter? Hearts and flowers for your loved one, or into a character for your children to make mealtimes interesting whilst still giving them one of their 5 a day.
This is the perfect vegetable accompaniment to so many meals and goes beautifully with my Valentine’s Day menu of Fillet Steak in a Worcestershire Cream Sauce.