A delicious cake, inspired by a wonderful Italian dessert. Instead of using butter, I’ve used Farrington’s Mellow Yellow Coldpressed Rapeseed Oil. You’ll have to keep this cake in the fridge as the frosting has mascarpone and cream in it, but let it come up to room temperature for a few minutes to enjoy it at its’ best though.
20g Milk (not skimmed)
300g Soft brown sugar
300g Self raising flour
5 medium eggs
5ml Baking powder
15ml Camp coffee
2.5ml Beau cappuccino extract
250g Mascarpone Cheese
140ml Double cream
4tbs Icing sugar
5ml Cocoa powder to decorate
1. Heat the oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line two 9″ cake tins.
3. Into a large bowl, place the oil, milk, sugar, flour, eggs, baking powder, Camp coffee and Cappuccino extract.
4. Beat together for 4-5 minutes until combined and creamy,
5. Divide equally between the two cake tins.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cakes are cooked and the tops are springy.
7. Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes.
8. Turn the cakes out onto wire racks and leave until cold.
9. For the filling and frosting, beat together the Mascarpone cheese and double cream until thick.
10. Beat in the amaretto and icing sugar.
11. Sandwich the cakes together using half of the amaretto icing.
12. Spread the other half of the amaretto icing over the top of the cake.
13. Sprinkle the frosting lightly with cocoa powder.
14. Keep chilled due to the filling and frosting.
15. Allow the slices of cake to come to room temperature prior to serving to allow the sponge to soften (cold sponge cake isn’t very nice, after all!)