9oz (250g) Plain Flour
2tsp (15ml) Baking powder
1½tsp (7.5ml) mixed spice
4oz (110g) Granulated sugar
5 floz (140ml) Milk
3floz (90ml) Corn oil
6oz (170g) Apple, chopped
1oz (25g) Sultanas
1oz (25g) Walnuts, chopped (optional)
2-3tbs (30-45ml) Soft brown sugar
Juice of one lemon
Oven temperature 190C / Gas Mark 5
Ok let’s cook!
1. Into a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, mixed spice and sugar together.
2. In a separate bowl/jug mix your egg, milk and oil.
3. Mix together until just combined. Do not beat and don’t worry if there’s a small lump or two. Just make sure that all the flour mix is combined.
4. Stir in the chopped apple & sultanas.
5. Don’t worry that this mixture seems a little dry as the apples will release some liquid as they’re cooked.
6. Pour your mixture into a greased traybake tin (or disposable foil traybake tray). Alternatively, divide between 12 large muffin cases/wraps.
7. Sprinkle the top with the walnuts (if using) and then the sugar.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
9. Allow to cool and then mix the lemon juice with enough icing sugar to make quite a thick icing. Drizzle randomly over the top of the cooled cakes.
These can be served still warm from the oven or left to cool. They’re also lovely warm topped with custard or ice cream.