I was recently been sent some delicious Canadian Maple Syrup samples to try from We Love Maple. Quebec in Canada produces 90% of the country’s production, with Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia producing the remaining 10%. Canada as a whole currently produces 71% of worldwide supply.
Maple syrup has a lower GI than both corn syrup and honey and comes in at 50 cals/15ml. It’s 100% natural and is high in both antioxidants and minerals. It generally comes on four main varieties:
* Extra Light – which is extracted at the beginning of the season. Has a light colour and a sweet, delicate flavour.
* Light – is the second batch to be harvested, has a slightly darker appearance and has a pure and delicate taste. Perfect for use in both vinaigrettes and dressings.
* Medium – comes from the third harvesting and is the most commonly available. It has a pronounced maple flavour and is ideal in cooking, for use in desserts and sauces.
* Amber – comes from the final harvest of the season, is darker in colour and has a rich, intense flavour. This final harvest is perfect for use in sauces and glazes.
Using the samples I was sent, I came up with a variation on a coffee and walnut cake, adding both flavour and sweetness from the maple syrup as well as added nutrition, crunch and goodness from a mix of both pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
To make it easier and quicker to make, I used the ‘all in one’ method and a disposable foil tray to bake it in. Ingredients and method to make the traybake are as follows:
225g Light Muscovado sugar
275g Self raising flour
10g Baking powder
4 Large Eggs
45ml Canadian maple syrup
15ml Camp coffee essence
35g Pumpkin seeds
40g Sunflower seeds
225g Icing sugar
15ml Canadian maple syrup
5ml Camp coffee essence
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan).
2. Add all the cake ingredients, apart from your seeds, into a large bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat them together for 4-5 minutes until light and very well mixed.
3. Stir in the seeds.
4. Pour the cake mix into the foil tray container and roughly level out.
5. Cook for 35-40 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned on top.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the foil dish.
7. For the icing, bring your butter to room temperature and beat thoroughly with the icing sugar, maple syrup and Camp coffee essence until light and fluffy.
8. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and sprinkle with lightly toasted sesame seeds to decorate.
I was sent four 45ml sized bottles free of charge to review from the PR company. I was under no obligation to write a positive review or to devise a recipe using the product.