Looking for a quick and simple pudding? Then look no further. As I was on a course with work today, and my hubby was cooking dinner, I wanted something that was quick and tasty for dessert. I always have the basics in my cupboards but I also had a jar of pitted cherries that I’d bought in Lidl recently, so put a tasty recipe together in about 5 minutes ready for the oven. (Apologies for the photo quality, it was taken on my phone).
110g (4oz) Self Raising flour
60g (2oz) Ground almonds
85g (3oz) Demerara sugar
85g (3oz) Butter, chilled
680g (24oz) jar (350g/12 1/4oz drained weight) pitted cherries in syrup (Lidl)
30g (1oz) Granulated sugar
5ml (1tsp) Almond extract
10ml (2tsp) cornflour
15ml (1tbs) cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Mix together the flour, almonds and sugar.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour/almond/sugar mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
4. Drain the cherries, putting the juice into a small saucepan.
5. Place the drained cherries in the bottom of a 25cm/10″ round dish.
6. Add the granulated sugar to the cherry syrup and bring to the boil.
7. Continue to boil for 5 minutes until reduced by a third.
8. Mix the cornflour with the cold water.
9. Add the almond extract and the cornflour mixture to the boiling syrup.
10. Continue to boil, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, until thickened.
11. Pour thickened cherry syrup onto your cherries in the dish.
12. Sprinkle your crumble mix over the top evenly.
13. Cook for 30-35 minutes until golden.
14. Remove and serve hot with custard / ice cream / cream according to your preference.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we did this evening.