‘Tis the season to be jolly, as they say. ‘Tis also the season to make your own simple additions for you Christmas dinner and there’s nothing more simple then your own, homemade, cranberry sauce, using only 4 ingredients.
My basic apple & sultana chutney with a little bit of a ‘kick’. This is great to cook if you need to clear your head. Remember to put the extractor fan on high though!
1.5kg Cooking Apples, cored and finely diced; no need to peel
750g Light Muscovado sugar
1 Medium white onion, finely chopped
1 Medium red onion, finely chopped
10ml Mustard seeds
10ml Ground Ginger
10ml Ground coriander
10ml Garlic powder
10ml dried Chilli flakes
300ml Cider vinegar
300ml Red Wine Vinegar
150ml Balsamic Vinegar
1. In a large, heavy based pan, combine all the ingredients.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes, stirring frequently until thick & syrup-like. Remember to keep it moving every minute or so as it gets thicker to prevent it sticking to the pan.
3. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for a while.
4. Decant into hot, clean, sterilised jars and seal.
This is a great & quick dish to serve alongside any dish of meat, or even with some cheese & a wedge of bread. Very versatile indeed!
2 Red onions
1 heaped Tsp Sugar
10ml Balsamic vinegar
1. Slice the onions.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
3. Fry the onions until they soften.
4. Add the sugar and cook for a few minutes until the onions start to break down.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar and continue to cook further for a few minutes until the relish becomes sticky & syrup-like.
6. Serve hot as an accompaniment with a meal or allow to cool and serve with cheese & cold meats.